The Daily Duties of a Medical Receptionist
Interested in a career in health?
The daily duties of a Medical Receptionist stretch far beyond the front desk.
Regardless of whether you’re working in a general practice, major hospital, dental or medical clinic, a Medical Receptionist needs to have amazing organisational skills, be able to effectively multi-task, have efficient time management and provide a high level of customer service.
Daily duties of a Medical Receptionist may include:
- Welcoming patients and visitors, answering the telephone and answering any enquiries
- Scheduling appointments and being organised enough to keep those appointments on time
- Assisting patients with completing necessary forms and documentation, as well as ensuring that all information acquired is accurate and curren
- Scheduling external appointments for any clients that require hospital admission and tests
- Keeping a clean, calm and collected reception area
- Processing bill procedures and payments
- Faxing, scanning, filing and mailing
- Comforting distressed patients – this may range from simply fixing any appointment issues that may arise, through to being the voice of comfort during times of extreme stress and emergency
- Equipment sterilisation and cleaning
- Monitoring and ordering stationary and clinical supplies to maintain a working supply at all times
- Booking and organising staff and doctor meetings
- Maintaining information confidentiality at all times
So, how do you get started?
For those looking to jump straight in, a HLT37315 Certificate III in Health Administration is your first point of call, equipping you with the knowledge and know-how to become an effective contributor to the medical and health services industry. Alongside understanding medical terminology, you will also learn the best way to manage information and resources, how to prioritize work tasks and responsibilities, and how to manage infection control in a healthcare setting.
If you’re looking to progress further, a HLT47315 Certificate IV in Health Administration delves into human resources and recruitment, running an effective team and monitoring the compliance of ethical and legal responsibilities. This course will lead you to into a supervisory role, where you can effectively manage a team of like-minded medical administration workers.
Think you’ve got what it takes to take on the duties of a Medical Receptionist?
Call 1300 616 197 today!